Sunday 17 October 2010

Retarded industrial designer

I would like very much to torture the designer of the Compaq NC6000 notebook computer. I had one with a dead Real Time Clock cell and it took me a couple of hours, following instructions, to access the cell, which is deep inside the machine, in fact stuck underneath the body top cover. You end up even having to remove the CPU heatsink to lift that cover.


Do designers believe that these cells (CR2016 or CR2032) never die? This is not the first laptop I encountered that had a difficult to access RTC cell. I feel it's a conspiracy to create work for computer technicians.


If you are unlucky to have the same symptoms (computer will not remember time), search on the Internet for the NC6000 service manual which has disassembly instructions. The cell I removed had solder tags. I simply peeled off the tags and sticky taped them on a new cell. Hopefully it will last until the laptop becomes obsolescent.

No comments:

Post a Comment