Friday 22 June 2012

Don't install VirtualBox on Windows from a network share

Why not, you ask? Well during the installation process, network device drivers are installed (the cause for the several popup warnings about unverified software). These break the network connection temporarily and of course if your installer package is on a network share, your installation stops dead. Duh, stupid me. So install it from a local disk. A USB stick is also ok.


There is actually a longer story in my case. I was upgrading versions. After I realised my mistake I installed from a local drive. But unknown to me damage had already been done. It worked fine for a while. Then one day I decided to do some disk cleaning. Hmm, how come I have both 4.1.14 and 4.1.16 installed? Never mind, I'll blow away 4.1.14. Everything appeared to be still ok afterwards.


Next I needed to enable bridged networking for the Learning Puppet VM. No matter what I did, I could not obtain an interface to bridge. A search turned up this troubleshooting advice in the VirtualBox manual. To paraphrase, one reason for no bridged network adapter is MaxNumFilters is too low. Well, that wasn't it. It was another reason: "The INF cache is corrupt". After I removed %windir%/inf/INFCACHE.1, rebooted and reinstalled VirtualBox, bridged networking became available. It must have been using the driver from the previous release of VirtualBox because I had a partial install of the current version.


So that advice again: Install the VirtualBox package on Windows from a local disk.


No comments:

Post a Comment