Friday 16 January 2015

NVIDIA driver, libglx.so and hardware acceleration crashing X server

My users on CentOS complained that Firefox would crash the X server after I updated the package xorg-x11-server-Xorg.

A search returned suggestions to disable hardware acceleration in Firefox. However a user mentioned that when he reinstalled the NVIDIA driver, it gave the warning libglx.so is not a symbolic link before setting things right.

An investigation showed that the NVIDIA installer replaces the file /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so with a symlink to /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so.X.Y where X.Y is the NVIDIA package version. So every time the xorg-x11-server-Xorg package is reinstalled, it replaces the symlink and hardware acceleration fails, crashing the X server.

The same problem for Debian is documented in this forum thread.

I could blacklist xorg-x11-server-Xorg in yum but I rather not do that. Since I may forget when an update of that package happens, I wrote a shell script to restore the symlink if removed and a cron job to call it periodically. But I'm also looking to make a Puppet stanza to do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment