Thursday 2 March 2017

Another reason for 500 Server Error from Wordpress 4.7

I tried to login to my local installation of Wordpress last night and while the home page worked, the login page resulted in a blank screen and a HTTP 500 error in error_log.

I thought it might be the move to PHP 7 by Wordpress, although I was puzzled why since it worked the last time I used it. No luck, even after upgrading my PHP packages to PHP 7, the error persisted.

So I did what I should have done in the first place, I set display_errors = On in /etc/php7/apache2/php.ini. The error was then obvious:

PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function gzinflate()

An install of the php7-zlib package fixed that.

I think the reason why it stopped working was that my web browsers started requesting gzip compression. That was why when I browsed the page with w3m, it worked.

There are lots of reasons why Wordpress might result in a HTTP 500 error. The takeaway lesson is that you should enable display_errors to get more clues. Remember to set it back after you have fixed the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment