Thursday 20 December 2018

Travails installing openSUSE on Samsung 2012 Chromebook (Snow)

I have a 2012 Chromebook made by Samsung, codenamed Snow. I like this machine as it is light, has a decent sized screen, and is suited for travel. Google stopped issuing updates to ChromeOS for this Chromebook in July 2018. So I was pleased to see that openSUSE Linux developers had issued builds for this hardware. For one thing I might be able to do things on the Chromebook not possible from ChromeOS.

So I went to the wiki page that had instructions for preparing boot media for it. First thing I had to do was enable developer mode. I lost my personalisation of the Chromebook but I didn't have much anyway, and most of the config was backed up to the cloud.

Ever optimistic, I chose the Leap KDE build image. I got it to boot and then the troubles began. I needed to get a network connection to update the packages, and this needed to be set up from the desktop. But the Plasma desktop kept crashing. Most of the time it would restart by itself after a hiatus at the desktop. But sometimes the machine froze and the only to get out was by turning off the machine by holding down the power button. On power up, sometimes it wouldn't boot far enough to show kernel messages and then it was power off again. Perhaps it was trying to repair the filesystem and I should have waited longer, but I did wait a long time. Finally I managed to download all the updates, some 600 packages in all. But by this time the machine wouldn't boot up anymore. Perhaps the CPU had overheated.

After a rest for the machine and for me, I decided I was too ambitious so I tried the JeOS (Just enough OS) image. Unfortunately this turned out to be NQeOS (Not Quite enough OS) as it didn't boot to a GUI. I might have been able to configure the WLAN interface from the command line but IHeOI (I Had enough Of It).

So I decided to try booting the LXQT image, I reasoned that perhaps without Plasma the desktop would be more stable. After quite a few tries and retries with the WLAN interface, I managed to fetch all the update packages, some 570 IIRC, and I installed them with zypper up -y from the CLI.

Then there was some to and fro with NetworkManager and wickedd. I decided to go for wickedd as this works at boot rather than when the user logs in on the desktop. But both were active after install causing some clashes.

So I have a desktop of sorts which can stay up for a while. I may keep LXQT, even though I'm used to KDE on my desktop, because this is a low RAM machine (1GB) after all.

But here's the main problem: after all that work I could not locate some key packages like a web browser, e.g. Firefox. Perhaps it's in a repo I don't know about, certainly it's not in the main repos. Looks like these builds are for people who are willing to experiment and not ready for normal usage. In retrospect perhaps I should have tried a Tumbleweed image as this might have all the updates to build date rolled in. I also see there's are experimental 15.1 builds which I might try and report back.

Other approaches I could have tried are Crouton, which keeps the kernel used by ChromeOS but runs applications over it. I don't know if this can be installed on a SD card. To the openSUSE developers' credit, getting a boot image which supports all of the peripherals I needed is a fair achievement. There is Internet documentation on how to install Debian on it but there is a lot of cross compilation and manual configuration.

The main motivation for installing a Linux distro on the Chromebook is to be able to get access to things like VPN software with a decent sized desktop and multiple terminal windows. But this motivation has faded a bit as I don't need as much to connect to my home or work machines during travels. If I do, my smartphone, with its 4GB RAM, and lots of VPN apps under Android, coupled with a Bluetooth keyboard, is much more capable, with the caveat that the display is smaller, even though the resolution is higher. So that only leaves local development when on the road as a rationale for carrying a Linux enabled Chromebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment