Tuesday 10 January 2017

Configure Postfix to relay to Gmail with noanonymous

I am the only user on my home machine, so although I could configure my mail user agents, Thunderbird and alpine, to relay to Gmail directly, I preferred to set up Postfix as a relay.

There are many tutorials on how to do this, for example this one from Howtoforge so I will not go over familiar territory. However if you find that Gmail is giving you an authorization required error in your Postfix logs, you need this setting:

smtp_sasl_security_options = noanonymous

A lot of tutorials fail to mention this.

Also if you find in the logs that Postfix is attempting to connect to the IPv6 address of Gmail, and you don't have a IPv6 capable connection with your ISP, then you might want to set this:

inet_protocols = ipv4

You may not notice this without looking at the logs because Postfix retries with IPv4 after giving up on IPv6, so there will be a delay relaying the mail.

No comments:

Post a Comment