Saturday 28 January 2017

Declaring the correct OS type to VMWare Player/Fusion matters

I built a pair of CentOS 6 VMs.

The first was constructed from an OVA file exported from VirtualBox. When it was booted, there was no network adapter detected. A little search showed that I had to add the line:

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

to the .vmx file. After that it worked.

The second was built from the installation DVD. I expected to have to edit the .vmx file again, but an e1000 network adapter was provisioned for the VM.

Looking at the two VMs the major difference was the first had an OS type of Other, while the second was declared as RHEL 6 (which CentOS 6 is equivalent to). This was probably because I had imported from an OVA file.

It seems that Player/Fusion is smart enough to provide a virtual e1000 adapter with the correct OS type declaration.

I expect that I will discover other aspects, such as the client tools, that will depend on this declaration when I continue with the configuration next week, so I will be fixing up the OS type of the first VM.

No comments:

Post a Comment